BRITAIN'S LEADING HISTORICAL RAILWAY JOURNAL
August 2013 Journal
Polkemmet Colliery - a double spread of industrial steam at this site in Lanarkshire.
The Closed Stations of Wirral's Passenger Railways - surveyed by Rowan Patel.
The Bodmin Branch - a local history by Alan Bennett.
The Great Western Railway '56XX'
Tanks - three pages of colour photos.
Changing Times on the Chesham Branch - Michael J. Smith presents a brief history up to the changeover
from steam to electric traction.
Was the LMS too big? - Peter Tatlow discusses an alternative scenario.
Meanwhile, Back at Carlisle - five
more pages of colour from the Border City.
An 'Oglo' at Helsby - Tony Robinson describes the moving of an out of gauge load, a nuclear power station transformer, to Blaenau
Ffestiniog in 1961.
Baltic Mysteries - Philip Atkins describes the genesis of the ill-starred Tilbury 4-6-4 tanks.
The 'Juice' comes South - Jeffery Grayer relates the story of the 'Portsmouth No
.2' electrification scheme to Littlehampton, Bognor and Worthing.
Seeing Double (or more!) - David Cable's colour shots of two or three trains passing each other on the GW main line.
Progress and Problems on the North British Railway 1845-6 - Jeffrey Wells goes back to the beginnings of the East Coast Main Line from Edinburgh.
Grime Time at New Street - four colour shots of steam at the old Birmingham
station in 1955.
Cheshire Lines - four pages of archive photos on the Cheshire Lines Committee system.